Thomas Holbrook's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

M_50x66
Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: memior
Read from October 06 to 09, 2011

I read the first 100 pages of this poorly written, disorganized, dreary account of a minor television actress whose "claim" to fame are: four years on "Ally McBeal," a struggle with an eating disorder and is presently her partner is Ellen Degeneres. I was looking forward to reading how Ms. de Rossi overcame a potentially deadly disorder but her presentation was so disorganized that I could not find a place to engage in the story. She chose to present this tale by injecting “scenes” from different parts of her life to detail both her struggle with Bulimia and with her coming to accept her sexual orientation. That style of writing can add depth to a story, particularly a memoir but in this case it caused confusion in the story.

I hope the remainder of the book will detail her recovery and successful relationship, now that she has accepted her sexual orientation. I may return to read the rest of it someday, when I have read the other books waiting on my shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.

10/06/2011