Caroline Anderson's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: english-420-ya-literature, mrs-as-young-adult-recommendations
Read in September, 2011

It is easy to see why Taylor's book won the Newberry Medal and is considered by Puffin Classics to be a modern classic! Mildred Taylor weaves this story so beautifully and deftly that the reader cannot help but to care for her characters and react, even physically, to them. Time and time again I felt myself tense up and become exasperated with Cassie and her brothers as they constantly charged into beyond risky ventures. I mentally scolded them probably a million times. I cannot conceive how a reader's heart would not rejoice with the Logans in their enjoyment of the simple, quiet pleasures of life and how his or her heart would not shatter over the abuse that they endure. This historical-fiction narrative is just so beautifully written! I was fascinated by the way she used the rain, the earth, and colors throughout the book to deepen the meaning and significance of her message. I see it as an excellent vehicle to teach not only eloquent literature to students but to teach them about humanity, tolerance, ignorance, hate, and injustice. Everyone struggles with pride and with judging others, but this book helps to bring life and humanity into our hearts and helps us reevaluate ourselves and our society. This is a fantastic novel which everyone should read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.