Justine Sof2014's Reviews > Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: grade-10-ir-books

In the book Dreams of my Father: A story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama, the books main ideas are finding out your identity, trying to make a difference and racism (being mix; half white/half African American). I guess what the writer is trying to say is by understanding who you truly are and how you become the person you are today can inspire you to make a difference. People of mixed heritage raise interesting questions. Obama explores many of these, leading readers to wonder with him, why, for example a man fathered by a white American mother, her parents, and an Indonesian stepfather, would gravitate toward the African half of his identity. Also must a person who is half white such as Obama, accept America’s designation of such people as black? While Obama offer thoughtful meditations on several aspects of his situation, he may well have decided that fully answering such questions would have bogged down the brisk pace of his narrative. With an engaging authorial voice and a keen eye for telling details, Obama takes his grassroots efforts to help African American’s in Chicago to his search in Kenya for a solid connection with the father he barely knew. Going back to the claim of hardship, juggling trying to make a difference, searching for any connection to a father he barely know (identity), and dealing with racism. Obama is an inspiration for going through all those hardships, but knowing he did the best he can.

It was a good book, I ratted it three stars. I would recommend to anyone that's interested.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams from My Father.