Caitlin's Reviews > The Last Time They Met

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

Oct 11, 11

Read in September, 2011

This was the third book in a row that threw me for a loop in the final pages (or in this case, the final paragraph). Therefore, I was again left at the end of the book contemplating whether I liked it or not.

Overall, I thought it was relatively well-written though I never felt that I fully understood the characters, so additional depth in that regard would have helped.
It was unique that the story was laid out backwards in three different phases of their lives (52, 28, and 17). Unfortunately, that contributed to my challenge in understanding who the characters really were. I felt as though in each time frame the author was about to reveal more of the character to the reader but then decides to change the time frame again. By the time you get to the end, you think you will more fully understand them but you are still left wanting more. I also could not determine whether I liked the characters or not and I found many of their actions to be unbelievable (really, after Africa and everything that happens with Thomas, Linda quickly moves on to date and ultimately marry someone else and they live happily ever after??)

I don't think I can recommend this book - the abrupt twist at the end combined with poor character development (and characters you can't decide whether or not you like) leave a lot to be desired.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time They Met.