Annette's Reviews > All New Square Foot Gardening

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

May 16, 08

bookshelves: gardening, 5-star-non-fictional-favorites
Recommended to Annette by: Tyra
Recommended for: anyone interested in gardening
Read in May, 2008

Now that I've read this book, I'm really excited about starting a Square Foot Garden! Since we are novices we are going to start out small with two 4x4 foot gardens. We have already made the two boxes and we have planned where we are going to put them. We have purchased the ingredients for Mel's Mix and I plan on going out to buy the seeds sometime in the next two weeks. Then, around Memorial day we'll be planting! I have even been inspired to start my own compost! Now that the weather is warm we are feeling pretty ambitious, I hope it lasts! I sure hope to be eating fresh veggies sometime in the next few weeks.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All New Square Foot Gardening.

Kristine we just assembled our boxes 2 of our 3 boxes this weekend. I have high hopes! Good luck!

Annette Awesome! I hope you are able to enjoy a bounteous harvest come fall! Keep me informed ok?

Kristine well we just finished our 3rd box tonight. in about a week check out the pictures on my blog. we are excited but I'm also terrified it will turn out wrong because we couldn't find everything in "mel's mix"

Annette What did you have trouble finding?

Kristine we got the peat moss, sand, vermiculite, with no problem. The two stores we went to had sold out of lime. Because of that I think our soil will be a bit acidic this year. Darik couldn't find anything else. I need to find someone to give me coffee grounds :-)

Annette In the new book there are only three ingredients for the perfect soil: peat moss, vermiculite and compost. None of these ingredients are very hard to find or very costly. There are several differences from the old book to the new book, it would be well worth your time to borrow one from somebody or check it out from the library.

We're trying to figure out how to keep the rabbits out. He shows how to make a cover for your garden made out of chicken wire, but we wanted to grow sweet corn, and the corn will be too tall for the cover before long. We'll just have to be creative I guess.

He also shows you how to compost and we're thinking of doing that too. Thing is, we're pretty ignorant about these things so it's a little overwhelming to try and do so many new things in one year. But we feel that we need to do all that we can to save money, the gas here in Wisconsin has hit $4.00 a gallon now. It makes me physically ill to put gas in the Suburban.

By the way, what are you planning on growing in your garden? Herbs, veggies, melons, flowers or all of the above?

Kristine let's see if I can remember.

we have 3 4x10 boxes. one box has 10 corns, 1 pumpkin, 2 squash, and 1 zuchinni

the other one has lots of beans, carrots, a few strawberries, lettuce and marigolds and nastriums (sp?). I need to put my herbs in.

in our vertical box we have 8 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, 2 cantaloupe, a bunch or peas and a few watermelons.

we planted late so I'm hoping the cold spell we're having right now doesn't kill all my seeds!

Annette Wow! That sounds like a lot! Your family is going to be sitting pretty in a couple of months when its time to harvest all of that good stuff. Are you going to be doing any canning this fall?

Kristine seriously! darik wanted it even bigger than it is - but i think it's a lot and will do us well for a few years. I hope to can tomatoes and beans. I guess it depends on how much we eat along the way. ?? I don't know I've never done this before :-) I think next year I will focus on growing for canning a lot more than I am right now. I think right now we wanted to try a variety to find what was easier to grow, what we liked the most, etc. kind of a trial and error for the future

Annette I have the feeling we're going to experience a lot of the trial and error process over the next few years. I just feel like such an idiot when it comes to gardening, but I'm sure that we'll get better and better each year. I just have to remember that "faith is like a little seed" and we have to plant it in order for it to grow.