Abigail's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 09, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, read-2014, read-on-nook, religious-theme, steampunk, urban-fantasy
Read from March 04 to 08, 2014, read count: 1

Well I made the mistake of thinking I remembered "Mistborn" well enough before starting "Alloy of Law." It's been a good 3 or 4 years since I last read "Mistborn" and I spent a good chunk of the first part of "Alloy of Law" trying to remember certain details about the trilogy to make connections. It was things like how aluminium worked in that worked and Wax praying while wearing an earring.

One thing I found interesting was the various religions that have popped up in the the last 300 years, and to be honest, I would have liked to have seen more about those as well as the Imortals.

"Alloy of Law" felt more like a detective story but I quite liked it. It was also steampunk without being too steampunk and actually felt more like a western. It's also nice to know that the noble class hasn't changed all that much in the last 300 years either. The wedding party was a nice way to harken back to the origional trilogy without overdoing it.

While reading "Alloy of Law" I had a discussion with a fellow goodreads person about connections between Sanderson's stories. I would like to add that there are brief mentions of a shippwrecked foreigner being rescued and brought back with amazing tales of a faraway land. Yet, no one seemed to believe it to be true. I'm curious which land this was as it wasn't mentioned.

Naturally, I now plan on rereading "Mistborn" and find myself annoyed that my copies are currently in storage. Oh well, they all have too many post-it notes in them to read them properly anyway and I need new ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

03/04 marked as: currently-reading
03/04 page 18
5.0% "Yes, it's taken me this long to start this book. But after this I'm all caught up on my Sanderson."
03/06 page 140
41.0% "It might just be me, but I have the strangest urge to watching the Firefly episode "Shindig" after that wedding dinner scene. Also, I should note the "Firefly" soundtrack is amazing companion music for this book."
03/07 page 254
75.0% "Does anyone else think the sword the koloss had in the broadsheet pucture right before chapter 16 look a bit like a crude shardblade? Or is that just me?"
03/09 marked as: read