S's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

U_50x66
Sep 19, 11

Pride and Prejudice did take a while to grow on me, but once it really got started, I could really appreciate a number of things that Austen was doing in the narrative. A strong plus was her use of dialogue between characters to confirm what the narration text had to say about their attitudes, a prime example of showing the traits of the characters instead of just telling the reader what they're supposed to be like. The prose itself, as is characteristic of the era, tends to be long-winded at times, making it difficult to sort out the narration if you're not reading carefully.

Despite the excuse of being written at a time when extensive , I still feel that the book does suffer a little bit because of how the prose can tend to ramble on. Though it's occasionally used to good comic effect, when it becomes particularly overdone it can be distracting. However, the subtle sarcasm that can be detected in a few of the lines does make it worthwhile to look out for those points.