Josh Cutting's Reviews > The Sirens of Titan

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

Aug 18, 08

Read in May, 2008

"Oh what fools these humans be" is the phrase that comes to mind. Or to quote Lennon; "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

This most definately was Vonnegut's mantra when regarding the human race, and how we plan and scheme in the face of total futility. Whether we put our faith in god, or the total abscence of god, in a well ordered universe, or utter chaos and anarchy, there's ol' Kurt, sticking a saftey pin in everything we think we believe, and exposing both sides for the fools that we are.

It's no coincidence, I think, that the main characters of Vonnegut's novels, and his best short stories, are hapless, clueless idiots. Billy Pilgrim was totally inane and ineffectual, as he was buffeted about in time, and now we have Malachi Constant, the world's richest man only because dumb luck has favored him his entire life. (Reminds me of someone else that I know, who shall remain nameless, but those that know me will probably know of whom I speak.) And now forces that have been manipulating all of human life for hundreds of thousands of years send this supreme idiot through an absurd series of hellish adventures, all to reach a final punctuation that absolutely no one can see coming. It is such the typical Vonnegut pimp slap, and it's brilliant in only the way that he can deliver.

My initial gut reaction was a 3 star, but upon further reflection, I've upgraded. The way that the whole resolution comes straight out of left field is just great, not to mention quite an accomplishment considering the whole book was about 3 degress off center anyway. And at the end, after exposing us for the quixotic morons that we are, Vonnegut still shows that he loves us despite our flaws, and gives everyone at least a little sliver of peace. It's really touching, without being treacle.

It's not Slaughter, but then again what is? But this is a great read for any Vonnegut fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sirens of Titan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new) - added it

Tori "My initial gut reacton was a 3 star, but upon further reflection, I've upgraded." Seriously, stuff like this is why you're my friend.

Josh Cutting Glad you liked it. Did you get my subtle dig?

message 3: by Tori (new) - added it