hypothermya's Reviews > Gilgamesh: A New English Version

Gilgamesh by Anonymous

Apr 27, 08

bookshelves: literature
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I found this translation of Gilgamesh to be very easy to read, while still maintaining the integrity of the story. The story itself was both very captivating and very boring, at different points. It interesting to read about Gilgamesh and Enkidu while they encounter and surmount different challenges of life -- everything from self-awareness to the realization that all things must die. However, at other points in the story, it felt like a narrative of two three year olds with super human powers and unlimited riches.

The highlights of this epic include the 'taming' of Enkidu -- complete with a seven day long sex scene; the surreal nightmares that litter the story; the rejection of the sexual advances of a great goddess; the quest and subsequent encounters in the search of immortality; and a recounting of a flood that is almost a verbatim variant of Noah and the Ark.

Overall, it tackles a lot and is a quick and interesting read -- but like most of the epics that I've been reading lately, I find that I have trouble relating to the central male characters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilgamesh.