Doug Dams's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

M 50x66
Nov 10, 2011

Read from November 04 to 10, 2011 , read count: 1

This book was about Louis Zamperini, an olympic runner, B24 bombardier, POW and survivor. It was a remarkable story well told by Laura Hillenbrand. The book traces all of Louie's life. It's an interesting life and shows how determination, and being positive helps to overcome obstacles and achieve goals. The first in this book is Louie training for and eventually reaching the 1936 Olympics. He meets Hitler and steals a souvenier from Jesse Owens. His dreams of returning to the Olympics are dashed when WWII breaks out. Louis enlists and ends up a bombardier in a B-24, flying in the Pacific. He's part of some high risk missions but on a search for a missing aircraft and crew his plane goes down and he spends 47 days a drift before being captured by the Japanese. The days adrift are a wonder. In it's telling you have to wonder how he and his pilot managed to survive it all and then the real horror starts. The chapters of the book dealing with POW life was interesting, horrifying and incredible. I had read other books (Flyboys) that detail the cruelty of the Japanese towards the POWs, but this book provided details, statistics on survival and much more. I found the descriptions of the POW treatment to be shocking. I started hating the Japanese for their role in WWII. The last part of the book deals with how Louie is liberated and how he tries to cope with the POW treatment he received. When he finally learns how to deal with it and forgive his captors you breath a sigh of relief. This book is well written, well researched and hard to put down. But sometimes I just had to put it down, because of the horrors being described. I just can't imagine being beaten every day for a year. The Japanese POWs had to deal with a lot. It's a very good book and I recommend it to anyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.