Becca Buckman's Reviews > Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

Sep 19, 11

Read in September, 2011

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, written by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault and illustrated by Lois Ehlert, is a classic children’s book telling a story about the English alphabet. The book shows the letters of the alphabet taking a journey up the coconut tree to find 26 letters might be a bit too much for the coconut tree to handle. The letters seem to become injured as the tree looses its balance but aunts, uncles and parents are soon to come to the rescue of the daring lowercase letters! Intriguing rhyming words, colorful pages and repeating words make this book one all children enjoy.

a.) The greatest aspect of this story is the use of fascinating bright colors on each page and impeccable rhyming language which invites the students to chime in whenever they can.

b.) The greatest of this language is the constant referral to the coconut tree and the title “Chicka Chicka boom boom!”. “A told B and B told C, ‘I’ll meet you at the top of the coconut tree’ ” begins the wonderful journey of each letter trying to race to the top of the coconut tree (p.1). The students are able to view the rainbow letters on each page to read along with the reader and are capable of using the rhyming words to memorize the great use of text and language.

c.) The text which sticks out the most in this book are the great rhyming phrases such as “Chicka Chicka boom boom! Will there be enough room?” (p.4), “H is tangled up with I, J and K are about to cry, L is knotted like a tie” (p.19) and “Look who’s coming! It’s black-eyed P, Q R S, and loose-tooth T” (p.23). The language in Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom gives readers and listeners a fun and easy way to learn the letters of the alphabet and many rhyming words to go along with them.

I use this book in my classroom each year. The story is a great way to introduce the letters of the alphabet to pre-school and kindergarten students. I create an entire unit of study around the book. The students and I read the story for the first 2 days, identifying rhyming words and the colors of the letters. For the third day of the lesson, students identify a letter of the alphabet as it climbs up the tree. For the fourth day, students are asked to draw a big replica of the letter, and then draw 2 or 3 pictures of objects that begin with the letter. The students are very thrilled every time we read the story and do very well on the activities and lessons.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Reminder that you should be finding NEW books this semester and I am not inclined to accept a book that you have used in your classroom each year - however, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this critique and appreciate the thought and work that went into it.