Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > Cinder

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: chemistry-101, dont-tell-others-youre-my-fave
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 03, 2012

Review published on Page Turners Blog on 1/11/12*

A girl who fixes mechanical things. A boy who just happens to be a prince. A plague that tears apart families. Add to all that a nice round of political intrigue and you have the makings of Cinder.

If you’re expecting a straightforward Cinderella story, you won’t find it between these pages. Instead you’ll find a perfect blend of fantasy and sci-fi. But watch out, just when you think you’ve figured out the rhythm of Marissa’s plot, she’ll throw you a curveball. For fans of the fairy tale, like myself, there are just enough nods to the story that I found myself smiling and looking forward to them.

As far as the characters go, well, I dare you to not fall in love with both Cinder and Kai. Cinder is that determined girl who will do what’s right no matter the stakes and Kai…what, you heard my sigh? Well, he’s the prince who feels the burden of his position and yet, more than anything he, too, wants to do what’s right for his people. They’re so similar and yet, just when you think perhaps everything may work out, don’t worry as mentioned in the synopsis, betrayal and treachery are right around the corner.

Marissa has built a world that I fell in love with and one that I found so very believable. And I know 2012 just started, but boy do I need it to be 2013 so I can read the sequel, Scarlet, because the ending, in this case, is really a beginning of a deliciously complex series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.