Lucy Furr's Reviews > Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: drugs-will-do-that
Read from September 19 to October 30, 2011

This is the third time I’ve read Fear and Loathing. For some reason, this time around, I had some trouble getting into it, got about a 5th of the way in, then went and read a bunch of other things and let it sit (for about two months). Then, last night, I picked it back up and finished the rest of it in one sleepless night. I feel I should point out that the book didn’t keep me from sleeping, but instead I couldn’t sleep so I finished reading it (if there is any upside to severe insomnia, it’s that you get a lot more time to read). The timing was right, I suppose.

There are times when Fear and Loathing makes me laugh out loud, and there are times when it makes me cringe. There are times when it, somehow, makes me do both. And maybe that’s a key thing about Fear and Loathing, you have to laugh, so you don’t become absolutely disgusted.

My sleepless night is taking its toll on me now, and everything I could possible say about this book has been said before, I’m sure, so I’ll just end this by saying that I enjoy this book immensely and have never once felt it had a pro-drug vibe to it. Quite the opposite, I think. I’ve always found it to have a very sobering effect, to be honest, and if I find myself in a long stretch of sobriety in the coming weeks, I won’t be terribly surprised. Now if only I could get some sleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.