John Wetterholt's Reviews > Paper Covers Rock

M 50x66
Sep 19, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in September, 2011

"Paper Covers Rock" is an astoundingly well written novel. Though it bears more than a passing thematic nod to "A Separate Peace" as a guilt-infused boarding school coming of age tragedy, this new novel is wholly it's own man, going places earlier novels in this sub-genre haven't dared.

After the drowning death of a classmate, 16 year-old Alex spends several guilt-laden weeks coming to terms with events as his friend Glenn becomes increasingly fearful over the question of who knows what, what will they tell, and is it really the truth? Hubbard's work presents a group of amazingly perceptive, fully realized characters working through a trauma they can only begin to grasp and understand. An immensely satisfying one-sitting read. May get some award attention, and will almost certainly get numerous course adoptions.

Vibrabtly real and immediate, despite being set nearly 30 years ago, this amazing book deserves a wide audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Covers Rock.

Ms. B I thought of A Separate Peace when I started reading this, too. That despite the fact I have only started A Separate Peace and have not finished it. Glad to hear I was on the right track.