Kara Roberts's Reviews > Madlenka

Madlenka by Peter Sís

Sep 19, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: culture, early-readers, family, fantasy, fiction, historical, light-humor, picture-book, progress

Peeking out through a die-cut window on the jacket, Madlenka invites the reader to enter her world. And what a world it is! On the surface, it looks like an ordinary city block, but as we meet Madlenka's neighbors -- the French baker, the Indian news vendor, the Italian ice-cream man, the Latin American grocer, a retired opera singer from Germany, an African American school friend, and the Asian shopkeeper -- and look through die-cut windows to the images and memories they have carried from old country to new, we can see that Madlenka's block is as richly varied as its inhabitants. And why is Madlenka going around the block, jumping for joy? Her tooth is loose, and she wants everyone to know!

I liked the book, however I think it is too long to keep the readers interested. The text is (if any) is very easy and not a lot to it. I would like to use this when talking about countries, and maybe loosing teeth.

Did not care too much for book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madlenka.