Ashley Rose's Reviews > Eyes Like Stars

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

May 09, 13

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, stars-5, reviews, cover-love, fantasy, fairy-tale, favorite-books, wishlist, magic
Recommended for: Anyone with a love of Shakespearean literature or Theatre in general.
Read from January 29 to February 08, 2012

I do not know for the life of me why I didn't pick this book up sooner! This book has been in the back of my mind on my to read list ever since I first saw it on the shelves when I worked at Borders #20. The cover art is simply stunning, and the tag line on the back "all her worlds a stage" should have gotten me to pick this book up much sooner than just now. Infact I knew I was going to finish this book tonight so I stopped by my local library (the LMC dosen't have these books.<- something I'll be reminding shortly) to pick up the 2nd book in the series Perchance to Dream

Our heroine, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith AKA: Bertie <- Great name! lives in the Théâtre Illuminata, a playhouse in which the players are the characters (not actors playing them but THE actual characters) from every play ever written. <- how cool is that!? Bertie's side kicks Cobweb, Moth, Mustardseed and Peaseblossom from Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream, who are absolutely hysterical, I found myself laughing out loud at their antics more than once while I was reading.

I don't want to ruin the story for anyone so I won't go into any detail on the plot, but I will say the story is steeped in Theatrical lore and practice. There are plenty of The Bard's characters roaming the wings of the theatre for any fan of Shakespearean literature to appreciate. Anyone who has ever been involved in a theatrical production be it as an actor or crew will fully understand the banter between the scenic manager and the properties manager as well as the other non acting members of the company. And anyone who has ever sat in a theatre and witnessed magic happen as the curtains rise and fall will be completely under the spell of the Théâtre Illuminata.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyes Like Stars.

Quotes Ashley Rose Liked

Lisa Mantchev
“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
Lisa Mantchev, Eyes Like Stars