Danny Lynn's Reviews > Comfort Food

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs

Sep 23, 11

Read from September 19 to 23, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I hated all the characters in this novel and that made this impossible to like.

Our main character, a universally likeable TV personality, was overly preachy and tight– like a detestable version of Martha Stewart. Her grown daughters were inexcusably whiny. In fact, our entire cast was shockingly immature, childish and catty (and not in a entertaining Real Housewives way). Even the weirdly omniscient narrator didn't know when to shut-up—not allowing the reader to infer everything for themselves and instead spelling everything out with a gaggable optimistic tone.

We start out with a misfit cast— characters that don't like each other; characters competing for the same spotlight; characters with unpleasant pasts; characters with personal baggage— and by the end of the book they've all come together to be best friends, each in turn, saving the day and having each others backs. Throw four men and four women in a room and watch them all conveniently pair off and fall in love.

So combine irritating characters with a predictable plot... this book is anything but comforting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Food.