Rosa's Reviews > Level Up

Sep 19, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, boy-reads, graphic-novels, young-adult
Read on September 18, 2011

Dennis Ouyang has always worked hard to do what his father wanted him to do. However when he gets to college he begins to feel tired of always being pushed and loses focus. When he is expelled from college four angels appear to help him get his life together, but is this really the best path for Dennis?

Sometimes when you are reading a graphic novel by a writer who changes artists the change in artists makes it feel almost as though the story is being told by a completely different person. That's kind of how I felt reading this through the first time. However upon further reflection I could clearly see that this was definitely a Gen Luen Yang story.

This graphic novel definitely shows how people can feel as if their life choices are being taken away from them. I loved seeing how Dennis was affected by his father's life. I also liked that it showed how an interest that may seem rediculous and time consuming can still have real life applications. However I am still wondering about what kind of message it sends that Dennis ended up where his parents wanted him to be anyway. Not in an I don't agree with the message kind of way, because it clearly illustrates that Dennis needed to find his own way and get there on his own, but more in a hmmmm how can this be interpreted way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Level Up.