Bree's Reviews > Bright Shiny Morning

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

Jul 25, 08

bookshelves: 2008, fiction, favorites
Read in July, 2008

Only got halfway through and had to return it - so I've requested it again to finish it! So far, this is one of my favorite books of 2008!

Update: Yep, this is definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year. I was completely engrossed in this one, I just loved everything about it. It starts out with random stories about people who are in LA, moving to LA - some of them he wraps up so you know they're not going to be recurring characters, and others he just lets the subject drop and goes onto something else. Between chapters there are little blurbs of facts about LA from it's founding right up until the 1990's. The first half of the book is more like short stories with some random facts thrown in. The middle of the book are chapters of random facts about all sorts of things in LA, with a bit of stories of the recurring characters in there. Then towards the end we're brought back to the characters that he's decided to tell us about all through the book, more random facts and a handful more short stories about people who have lived/moved to LA. I just found the whole thing SO interesting, I can't even explain why.
I liked the style of his writing...it was blunt, there wasn't proper punctuation, he repeated himself a lot. It just worked in this novel (other novels I've hated for the same reasons).
My only complaint about the whole book, which I decided didn't merit a whole star being taken off, was that he would randomly decide to start saying the "F" word and would say it 10 or more times in about 5 sentences, then lay off it again for several more chapters. Where he inserted it, it wasn't really necessary. I found that annoying, like he'd realized he hadn't sworn enough in the last 10 chapters, so he threw a whole bunch in to fill his quota and then continued on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Shiny Morning.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Did you like A Million Tiny Pieces? I found that one a bit hard to digest. Is this book similar?

Bree I never read his first book, no...there was just too much drama surrounding it, so I never picked it up (not that I really care either way on the whole issue, lol). So I can't compare. The writing in this is kinda random...not a lot of punctuation, dialogue isn't like normal dialogue - things that irritated me in other books, lol! But in this book, it just works. I really don't even know how to explain this book - he touches on a lot of lives in LA to show the readers what it's like there, and between chapters there are random facts about LA and how it developed over a couple centuries.

Melissa Thanks for the feedback! Sounds interesting. Some of those books with no punctuation can sometimes be awesome and sometimes be annoying. Guess that means I should see if my library has a copy!

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Thanks for the review! I am dying to read this book!