Victoria's Reviews > Claimed by the Highlander

Claimed by the Highlander by Julianne MacLean

Sep 19, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book will also be going on my 'to be read again' pile. It was good for a number of reasons. I'm not sure how many romance novels I've read with the 'I'm unworthy of love and so I will never love you' trope, but there are a lot. This one is THE ONLY one I think I've read that it seemed believable. Usually I'm thinking, 'Sheesh, get over it already.' MacLean has a singular talent for making you understand the character's internal struggle and making it sound realistic.

Gwendolen's struggle with falling in love with Angus was somewhat short but also not so very unbelievable, nor boringly drawn out, as she went from I hate you - I really don't like you - I don't think I like you - This sex is hawt - Wait, I'm happy and this isn't so bad - I think I like you - Yep, I love you.

Normally a book like this would have probably annoyed me as either the heroine or hero fought to his/her dying breath to not love the other. Although it took until the end of the book for Angus to realize it, he showed through a number of little gestures that he really did. I think MacLean's strength is truly in her character development as we actually see the progression instead of a bombshell event occuring when he/she suddenly and unequivocally realizes he/she loves the other because the other was kidnapped/near death/leaves/etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed by the Highlander.