Tyler Carlson's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Oct 09, 11

Read from October 03 to 09, 2011

This is more of a 3.5 than a 3, and I figured I should go on the lower end instead of rounding up.

It wasn't that this book was bad; it's just that this book wasn't great. For all of the hype surrounding this series, I was a little let down.

I first read "Clockwork Angel" before this series (and yes, I picked it out over the cover. Victorian Age guys intrigue me, okay?!). I thought it was a well thought out first novel in a promising trilogy. The character's were developed strongly, and there were still plenty of mysteries left to solve, especially the meaning of that wonderful ending.

The ending to this one was - how shall I say this? - not as grand. I won't give it away, but it fell flat for me. Sure, there was still some things that needed some solving, but I wasn't exactly jumping up and down saying "Oh my god, I need to know what happens next, I just need to!" The series could have ended there and I wouldn't have cared either way.

The fact this is the first novel by Clare shows; I do not think the character's were extremely well-developed compared to those in "Clockwork Angel." The main character, Clary, just seems bland to me. Jace is better, but when his exposition comes and, finally, the grand finale leading to his feelings becoming more endangered than ever, I was let down my the laconic nature of it all. What the character feels mentally is not well described, not at all.

Clare, however, has a few good things going for her. Yes, I have read some of the reviews saying this was a stereotypical story and blah blah blah, but to be honest, aren't all stories stereotypical after awhile? There are only so many twists and turns writers can write before they run out, not to say Clare took everything from every other story. A book is like a good soup; there are multiple ingredients in that soup all taken from different books and movies and television shows and real life experiences, but combined together they create something different and exciting. There wouldn't be genres if all books were drastically different from one another.

So yes, this book receives 3.5 stars because I think it has good potential to develop into an amazing series (No, I have not started 2, but I will soon when I go out and buy it. There are 4 total as of now, and a second in the "Infernal Devices" trilogy coming out soon entitled "Clockwork Prince", so yes, I know there are already more, but since I have no gotten to them, I do not know what to make of them). Perhaps her writing shall grow. Having read "Clockwork Prince", her fourth book published before "City of Bones," her first book, I can spot obvious differences. Clare did grow as a writer. Therefore, I should expect that this series shall get better as I go along too.

Here's to hoping I'm not wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

10/04/2011 page 54