Marcie's Reviews > Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

3762047
Mar 16, 13

bookshelves: graphic-novels, children-s-historical-fiction, books-about-books-libraries-and-wri, multicultural-books, likes-and-loves-2012-ccira, ccba-2013-nominee
Recommended to Marcie by: SLJ
Read from September 18, 2011 to March 16, 2013, read count: 2

I included this in multicultural because of the (albeit minimal) insight into the deaf culture. I loved this even more than Hugo which was the first book I correctly said would earn either the Caldecott or Newbery. Perhaps because I taught (many many years ago) at UNC Lab school which at that time housed the district hearing impaired program this book was just my cup of tea. In fact, I feel like it was my birthday present and I loved spending the day reading it. I'm going out to buy a copy for the 4/5 class I volunteer in, because I think the kids deserve to have it in their classroom, although I'm worried how long the binding will last in a Classrooom Library.

How could one not love a book with the definition of curator, p.98. "A curator's job is an important one, for it is the curator who decides what belongs in the museum. The curator then must decide exactly how the objects will be displayed. In a way, anyone who collects things in the privacy of his own home is a curator. Simply choosing how to display your things, deciding what pictures to hand where, and in which order your books belong, places you in the same category as a museum curator."

In a classroom you'd just have to have kids create their own museum boxes similar to Ben's wood box.

Enjoy!

A great book to pair with this, would be Myron Uhlberg's The Printer.

Re-read for class 2013. Wow! It still has all the foreshadowing and on this 3rd read I actually recognized how amazing it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Connie Marcie,
I, too, predicted HUGO to be the and was caught by surprise when it won the Caldecott! Thanks for this good review of his newest book - and the deaf connection.
Connie ;-)