Steve Schlutow's Reviews > That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back

That Used to Be Us by Thomas L. Friedman

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: current-affairs, economics, history, a-non-fiction, favorites
Read from September 19 to 23, 2011

This was a very good book; I agree 100% with their arguments.. I disagree with some of the approaches to resolving their arguments, but many times I do disagree with these author(s) being a conservative.. That said the authors' books are always informative good reads, thus I read enjoy reading them.. This book continuous the authors trend of good books, it is a very interesting book, and I enjoyed the read very much..

The part of the book that I enjoyed the most was education chapters, as how the US has fallen behind other countries--common knowledge.. I liked their approach of the subject.. The authors said one of the reasons we have fallen behind was the fact we reward on ef fort--I have always hated that, as an athlete and a coach.. When I ever I received a participation reward (as a kid) I would just chuck it--I do not need to be reminded I sucked, and did not place.. That is what the authors talk as on of the problems are with generations today is that they expect something with no result--I gave effort and participated, REWARD ME... As a teacher (and a former coach), I hate rewarding effort, I want results--do you know it, and(or) did you achieve it..

Their are other great examples that we can all take from our lives(like above) and visualize in the book--I enjoy books when authors do this..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Used to Be Us.

09/21/2011 page 185