Aaron's Reviews > Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard

Breaking Night by Liz Murray

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: 10th-grade-2011-2012

What was Noteworthy:

-The book is a memoir, meaning it is non-fictional.

-The theme of this book is never accepting failure and there is always time to succeed. In Breaking Night, Murray faces a lot issues with her mother dead and being homeless. But she doesn't accept giving up on life. Murray tries her best to retry high school and manages to be so successful, she gets into Harvard college.

-Liz's parents are unique characters that you feel bad for. They are not fit for taking care of children, yet they love their two daughters. They are abused to drugs and are sick, but do not want their children to get into the same thing. They seem like the reason Liz had such a horrid past, but in reality, they just weren't lucky. The mother gets AIDS and the father gets kicked out of the home leaving Liz with no parent to look up to.

-I would give the book 5/5 stars. I think it is a truly amazing accomplishment for a person who was homeless and had no real education, to go against the odds and lead a path to success. It has inspired me to never let a bad grade or criticism bring me down. If I fall down, like Murray, I'll just fight my way back up.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Night.