Debby's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Debby by: Shelley S. Reevees
Read from October 01 to 18, 2011

Ann Voskamp is a professing Christian woman, Canadian pig farmer's wife and mother of 6 home-schooled kids. She has struggled for most of her life with insecurity, fears, panic attacks and deep questions about the goodness of God.
A friend challenged Ann to look for and write down 1000 (that's right, one thousand) gifts from God. Gifts seen in daily life; not just the undeniable good, big, bright and happy stuff, but also what is seen of God's handiwork in the midst of the mundane, the ugly, the nerve-wracking and the painful events of
daily life.

Euchristeo is the challenge of this book; learning to exprsss thanksgiving to God for ALL his gifts in all aspects of our life, To learn to live open to give thanks and to receive the miracle of joy in our lives, just as Jesus took the break, broke it and gave thanks and THEN the miracle took place. So it is in our daily life. To acknowledge God and the circumstances we face and to give thanks IN everything, to be emptied of self focus and to be filled with the hope joy and peace of life lived believing and thanking od in and through ti all. This is a learning process for sure. No overnight wonders here!

This is a book well worth reading, and maybe needs to be read more than once to really let the message sink in. Voskamp's writing style is a bit tedious at times because she is very poetic and somewhat mystical. But don't let that drag you down or keep you finding the nuggets of truth and depth of wisdom that can be fund in a life that flows with eyes ifted up, hands open to receive and a heart willing to offer thanks in all HIs gifts to HIs children; trusting that God is only and always loving, gracious, faithful, good and wise in all He does.
There is much food for thought in this book for sure! I'll be thinking through this bood for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

07/25/2011 page 150
67.0% "I am REALLY enjoying this book; the 6th in the Shane Scully series!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

rachel Dad is reading this to you? Wow is he wrapped around your little finger or what. :)

Debby Definitely an act of love!