Shanna's Reviews > Love Is a Mix Tape

Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Jun 20, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: music, biosmemoirs
Recommended for: music dorks, mixtape lovers, young widows
Read in June, 2007

One of my friends told me to read it and said I would enjoy it.
I liked parts of it a lot: the discussion of the nature of mix tapes v. other mediums and the way that music can define relationships, the fun new songs I found for the first time/remembered, and the really poignant description of his wife's death. This was in some ways more unsettling for me than The Year of Magical Thinking, mainly because they were both so young. They didn't get a chance to live their lives together. It was very, very scary.

Things I didn't like:
The first few chapters focus a lot on his childhood/teen years. I really think this book should have had a more central focus of his relationship with his wife and his grief and, of course, the music that was involved in these experiences.
A lot of this book focuses on the music of the 90's and at one time he even mentions how strong woman involvement was the reason that the music of the 1990s was so different than any other decade. It feels like this is backhanded/insincere, though, after he has stated that "like all girl bands, they spent all their time thinking up cool band names and cool song titles and cool ideas for matching outfits with only occasional efforts to actually play songs." LAME.
The writing's a little too High Fidelity/Rolling Stone/silly at times.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is a Mix Tape.

Courtney I thought the same thing about the "tit" rock of the 90s discussion vs. the statement about girl bands only thinking of cool names and outfits.