Nancy Oakes's Reviews > Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories

Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

Feb 28, 14

bookshelves: horror, ghostly-tales
Read from February 25 to 28, 2014

I've listed and summarized all of the stories in this book at my reading journal blog, in case you're interested in what you have to look forward in this book.

Perhaps these aren't the best ghost stories I've ever read, but Le Fanu is a master of atmosphere, which helps to produce the sense of dread or doom I look for when I read these sorts of tales. For the ghost-story aficionado, this collection is definitely one not to miss. While these stories aren't a complete set of terrifying tales by Le Fanu, they've certainly been enough to whet my appetite for more. Most of these tales have to do with vengeance of wrongs brought forth to the present because of actions of someone in the past, while some are folkloric in nature. And, for the haunted house story reader, there are a number of those here -- for example, my favorite of this type found in this book, "An Account of Some Strange Disturbances In Aungiers Street." I really liked the stories set in among the hills of Ireland, largely because Le Fanu steeps these tales in atmosphere from the outset. I also noticed that in many or most of these stories, there are clues at the very beginning that lead the reader toward the climax -- when all is revealed.

While I have all of Le Fanu's novels, I've never before ventured into his shorter tales, but I must say that they are very satisfying for someone like me who loves a good ghostly yarn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories.

02/25 marked as: currently-reading
02/26 page 86
44.0% "So far, I'm loving it. "The Child That Went With the Fairies" gave me the willies."
02/28 marked as: read