Nicolemauerman's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

1919825
Sep 19, 11

Read in September, 2011

In college I was subjected to Dr. Laura on my daily bus ride. One day a man called in and said that his son had just brought home his new fiancé. The only problem was that the man used to travel a lot for work and had a ‘real family’ which his son was a product of, and another family which produced a daughter. The fiancé was actually the son’s sister. Try explaining that one. Ouch.
This book is along those same lines. A taxi-driving, bigamist, stutter has both a ‘real family’ and a ‘Wednesday family.’ Both have produced daughters at roughly the same time. The not so legitimate daughter knows about the other, but the real daughter lives in the dark. Although their father does everything to keep them apart, fate intervenes bringing them together.
Silver Sparrow is a sad book. I liked that the author divided the book in half. Telling one part of the story from one family viewpoint and then the other. I also liked how she kept things short and to the point-she isn’t too wordy, but still writes a complex, engaging story. The ending isn’t rosy and resolved, which I liked because it kept with the story and the characters the author had built. I really liked this book. I think it would make a great book club read as this book lends to discussion. Great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.