Kerrie's Reviews > The Case for Christ

3202093
Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: religion
Read from April 20 to 26, 2011

I pretty much agree with everything Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins have to say on the subject of religion (with a few exceptions), but I'm not about to limit my reading material to what fits my worldview. I'm entirely open to reading religious material and see what it has to say. This book was put into my hands by a Christian who said it proved beyond a doubt that Christ existed, was resurrected, and therefore Christianity/God/salvation was real. This story has obviously convinced billions of others throughout the course of history. OK, Lee Strobel, convince me.

I don't know how this book could convince anyone who isn't already firmly in the Jesus camp and believes wholeheartedly. I could do a page by page critique of this book, but this guy did an excellent job already.

Bottom Line: Strobel quotes from the Bible to prove his case. Therefore he's beginning with the assumption that the Bible is true. *facepalm* If he was planning on convincing skeptics with this book, that's a fail right out of the gate.

The entire book was intellectually dishonest. He quoted freely from Christian sources (and attributed the quotes), but only paraphrased skeptic sources that supposedly supported his position (and left them unnamed so I couldn't look them up). After pages and pages of this, my rating kept dropping. Since I doubted that he would be able to convince me, I was not going to rate this book on content but instead focus on his tactics.

His introduction also struck me as very revealing - why is it that those who were "atheists" and turned to religion were always at the lowest point in their lives? Strobel was trapped by alcohol, drugs, and sex (don't forget the sex!) His marriage was going to sh!t as a result. It never fails to amuse me that one of the most prevalent beliefs about atheists is that they're absolutely miserable people with nothing to live for because of that "god-shaped hole" in their heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for Christ.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Scott Rachui If you agree with Hitchens (who is now a believer, by the way, since his passing) and Dawkins, then you have not given much thought to this subject. Even educated atheists cringe at how poorly thought out and argued Dawkins and Hitchens arguments are. Quit being a drone, Kerrie. Start thinking for yourself.

Kerrie Scott wrote: "If you agree with Hitchens (who is now a believer, by the way, since his passing)..."

Thanks, Scott. This made my night. *laughing*

I have questioned God's existence ever since I was a child and reached my decision early. Long before I even knew who Hitchens and Dawkins were. They simply could verbalize and express far more eloquently the conclusions that I had come to years ago. By not being raised religious (not by atheist parents, just non-religious ones) I did not have that religious programming that the impressionable mind of a child absorbs like a sponge (and is so hard to shake off). I've always looked for evidence and have found none.

I understand why people choose religion. It is a comfort, I've heard it enough from my religious friends. It helps them deal with the crap of daily life, traumas, etc. I've even heard people say that yeah, they have doubts, but the fantasy of it is better than thinking there is nothing out there and we live in an uncaring universe with no purpose to existence. Personally, I find that sad on many levels... that for whatever reason they cannot believe that any amazing thing they do or obstacle they overcome was due to their own personal strength, but the intervention or aid of a supernatural power.

And that ties in to my observation at the end of this review - why is it that so-called atheists who converted always seem to have found religion when their lives went to shit and they were at what they thought was their lowest point? Comfort. That's how I view religion and belief in a god, especially evangelical Christianity where one is forgiven of all their sins if they just believe and accept Jesus as their savior. I know one might ask, "Is that so bad?" Well... if they keep it to themselves, it's fine. But the way religion has influenced politics in this country, affecting women's healthcare, etc.... it is NOT fine: keep religion private and stop trying to control the lives of the rest of us.

message 3: by Ivan (new) - rated it 1 star