Kate's Reviews > A Winter's Gift

Sep 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, age-middlegrade, horses
Read from February 19 to 23, 2012

Amy, in her second year of veterinary school, is back for winter break. She expects everything to be the same, but things have changed. Lou's daughter is now a toddler, her grandfather and Nancy seem to be having trouble in their relationship, and of course there's Ty. Amy and Ty broke up last spring, and at first Amy is pleased that they seem to be less awkward around each other. Then she meets Heather, Ty's new girlfriend.

When Amy finds a pregnant mare out in a field, nearly ready to give birth, with a storm on the way, Amy is concerned. It takes Amy's love of horses to realize that although some things change, horses will always give her a way to make it through.

I find it interesting that the specials seem to skip over some periods of time. Amy's summer break didn't seem to involve her being at Heartland at all, and in Beyond the Horizon, Amy didn't seem to have gone home during Thanksgiving break or winter break.

What is also interesting is that Amy finds out that Ty and Heather are dating because she sees them kissing. I think, over the course of 12 or so books where Ty and Amy were dating, they shared approximately one kiss. Personally, I think Ty and Heather seem to have more chemistry, and it only reinforces how businesslike Amy and Ty's relationship was.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Winter's Gift.

Jemma Yeah I sort of think all of what you said