Manny's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, celebrity-death-match, life-is-dante
Read in January, 2001

For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, The Handmaid's Tale (7) versus The Divine Comedy (26)

As she neared the gates, Offred saw an inscription over them which read
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE
She passed through, and they closed silently behind her. A moment later, she heard a voice that seemed to come simultaneously from the ground, the sky, and the inside of her head.

"You have forfeited all your rights," said the voice. "You will be my chattel and my plaything here through all eternity, and I will do with you as I please. There is no end to the ways I will find to torment you; but the first and greatest of these torments is that you will have no hope."

Offred was rather reminded of her late husband. I will find it easy to get used to my new life, she thought. But then she remembered that she was now dead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (last edited Sep 19, 2011 06:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny Technical note: in case anyone was unsure, this counts as a win for The Divine Comedy. I mean, she's dead, right?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Hmmm trying to decide if I want to put the handmaid on my to-read list..

Manny Jane wrote: "Hmmm trying to decide if I want to put the handmaid on my to-read list.."

I love Margaret Atwood, but this was my least favorite of the ones I've read! My advice is to start with the short story collections, they are completely fabulous.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Thanks! I'll do that :)

Manny I think I slightly preferred Wilderness Tips, but Bluebeard's Egg was also terrific.