April Suter's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

F 50x66
Sep 19, 11

Read in September, 2011

The story begins in August 1962 with Aibileen taking care of Mae, the 17th baby she has raised. Minnie, Aibileen's best friend, and Aibileen watch the white ladies manage their families and households and are treated with disdain, like they are a necessary evil. This group of women are concerned that the "negro" women need separate bathrooms because they carry diseases (but those women are good enough to love their children and cook for them). One single women sees the unfairness (to put it mildly) and branches out on her own to talk to The Help and get their story. In the process she finds out her own story.

My favorite quote: page 221 "...the white lady don't ever forget."
I really enjoyed this novel, made me think, do I had have negitive thoughts about others? I know it isn't race based but still do I always treat everyone as an equal. Reading this book gives you a good challenge to make yourself a better person.

The only thing that I will caution others is there is a part (a flasher) that does not need to be in the book. It stands out like a sore thumb-Just like in Water for Elephants, it is like the author had to put something in the novel not appropriate for many readers just to meet a certain quota.

534 pages
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.