Cary's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 27 to 28, 2011

As usual, this is not part of my reading list for October but because of my ever impulsive tendency in choosing my next book to read, I decided to read it this soon so I can join the discussion in Filipino Group read for the month.

Ever since I've joined goodreads, I've been reading a lot of good reviews about this book so I think it's really worth reading. I am cautious though in reading this one because some of the reviews I've read said that it has similarities to Hunger Games so I have to warn myself to expect a lot of blood-shedding, brutality and gruesome killing - the only thing I don't like about Collin's novel. (I know it's unfair to the author to set an expectation based on other author's work so I hope she will forgive me for doing so.) I think I like it better than the former.

This is actually my second dystopian novel and I don't think I am a fan of this genre yet but reading Divergent made me think I need to explore more on this genre. And my verdict after reading through it is of course IT WAS AMAZING that I want to read it again to savor every moment of it! I was so engrossed that I remember myself smiling, shrieking, and gasping while reading it. I like it
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

10/27/2011 page 30
6.0% "Finally, Im reading divergent..."
show 2 hidden updates…

Rollie Glad you liked it. :)

Cary yeah i like it. natatawa pa ko habang nagbabasa ako kagabi kasi (view spoiler)

Rollie Anong edward?

Cary yung isang dauntless transfer na (view spoiler) ayoko ng ganung scene

message 5: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely I finished reading this. I did not like it but I will check the other reviews first. It is very similar to THG and it is actually a romance novel with a dystopian backdrop. No wonder young girls, wanting to be tough, like this.

Rollie Cary: bwahaha. di ko na yan maalala. I think I have to reread the book.

KD: Fearless lang talaga siya. Haha.

message 7: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Let's see. Fearless. 16-y/o girl. Fantasy sya. I'll read other reviews. Mababaw lang ako. I could still be easily swayed ha ha.

Rollie Read Tina's review. Haha

message 9: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Oh, Tina is a girl.

Rollie K.D. wrote: "Oh, Tina is a girl."

Haha. At panu naman nasali yung gender ni Tina? :D

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Readers try to identify themselves with the main protagonist. Beatrice or Tris is a girl. 16. Tina is a girl, 25. Both are without boyfriend since birth. So when Four is kissing Tris, girls like Tina are imagining themselves to be Tris.

I understand that. I understand if girls like this book, Rollie.

message 12: by Cary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cary Ay grabe, I didn't imagine myself that way hahaha

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina K.D. wrote: "Readers try to identify themselves with the main protagonist. Beatrice or Tris is a girl. 16. Tina is a girl, 25. Both are without boyfriend since birth. So when Four is kissing Tris, girls like Ti..."

HAHAHA! Nakita ko to kumusta. I actually didn't like Four, or the romance in this book. :P So I wasn't really imagining myself as Tris. :P But I understand how other girls would like this though, because of the romance. Mysterious guy who sets his eyes on the main character always wins, save for a few exceptions (for me, anyway, because like I said, I didn't care much about the romance here :D).

Haha teka tatawa lang ako ulit. :))

message 14: by Cary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cary Tina wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Readers try to identify themselves with the main protagonist. Beatrice or Tris is a girl. 16. Tina is a girl, 25. Both are without boyfriend since birth. So when Four is kissing Tris, ..."

hahaha natatawa din ako. I do actually like Four pero di lang din naman romance ang reason why I like this.

message 15: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Cary wrote: "Tina wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Readers try to identify themselves with the main protagonist. Beatrice or Tris is a girl. 16. Tina is a girl, 25. Both are without boyfriend since birth. So when Four is k..."

Haha kelangan lang talaga mamention na NBSB ako kasi :)) Ayoko ng masyadong brutal na guy, haha manang po ako. :D

message 16: by Rollie (last edited Oct 30, 2011 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rollie @KD: There's something in the book that you're missing to mention. :D Tina and Cary are right, hindi lang romance kung bakit nila ni-rate ng above three stars yung book. Ewan ko pero di ko masyado napansin yung romance. :D Ina-anticipate ko lang kasi yung answer kung bakit dangerous maging Divergent. :) At saka, impressed ako sa nanay ni Tris kasi plano niya pala lahat. Di ko ma-imagine yung if mother ko can do brutal things as Tris's was. Katapos I liked din pano walang pili ni Roth pinapatay ang kanyang mga character--yung parents ni Tris, yung boyfriend ng kaibigan niya, etc.

@Tina: NBSB ka pala. :)

message 17: by Cary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cary Tina wrote: "Cary wrote: "Tina wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Readers try to identify themselves with the main protagonist. Beatrice or Tris is a girl. 16. Tina is a girl, 25. Both are without boyfriend since birth. So w..."

haha oo nga tapos may mention pa ng age..grabe!