Megan's Reviews > Reclaiming Lily

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, christian-fiction
Read on October 07, 2011

I had a really hard time getting into this book. The first half of 'Reclaiming Lily' covered just one day and was very slow moving. It would alternate between the present day and the stories that Kai would tell about her life in China. However, about two-thirds into the book the story really got interesting, and I found myself rushing to reach the conclusion. The last twenty or so pages were especially moving, although abit abrupt, and left me guessing until the very end - literally until the last paragraph!

The story of Kai's life in China was so vividly written. I have heard of China's one child policy, but this story drives home how difficult that policy really is. Kai's mother had three daughters before the policy was put in place, but shortly after it goes into effect she finds herself pregnant again. Fearing what the government might do, her husband demands that she get an abortion, but she refuses to kill her child. Knowing that she can't keep her baby, she makes the heart breaking decision to leave her baby (Lily) at an orphanage (because a healthy child that was left at an orphanage would be taken care of), with the hopes of one day reclaiming her. But it would not go as planned.

When Lily was ten years old Pastor Andrew and Gloria Powell, an American couple, adopted her, changed her name to Joy and brought her home to Texas. Kai was there when they took her from the orphanage, watching from a distance horrified that her baby sister was being taken away and helpless to stop it.

The Powells have raised Joy to believe in God, but lately she has been rebeling against them at ever turn. Joy turns against a God that she at one time claimed to believe in and not only that but she acts out in so many different ways, that they never know what to expect from her anymore.

When Kai brings the news to them that Joy might have Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), they are wary of Kai at first, but she soons endears herself to them. PKD is an hereditery disease, and Kai and Joy's mother had had it. The only treatment is dialysis or a kidney transplant and Kai wants her tested for it right away.

I didn't like how long it took for me to get into the book and how when it got to the more crucial parts of the story it would jump ahead - sometimes by years. I felt that for a book that has 384 pages, it seemed rushed at the end, like the story was getting to long and so was just quickly finished.

Overall, I found 'Reclaiming Lily' to be an enjoyable book, but not one that I would be quick to recommend and likely won't be a book that I will read again.

*** I received a complimentary copy of this book through Litfuse to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reclaiming Lily.

10/07/2011 page 317