Brie's Reviews > Archangel

Archangel by Sharon Shinn

Sep 18, 11

I am a fan of Shinn's writing. I find it to be colorful and enticing. Her words are quite lively and can keep me engaged in the story even when I dislike one of her characters. This is what happened with Archangel. I really loved the storytelling, the prose was effortless to read, but at the same time Rachel made me want to fling the book across the room. Had it not been for the writing, I would have given up.

Rachel is not an agreeable woman and she does not even attempt to be. She's highly judgemental, very rude, and just plain contrary. She is not eager to become Angelica to Gabriel and fights him at every turn. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt since she had been in slavery for five years and as soon as she was released it was into the world of the Angels, who she despised. But Rachel's attitude made it hard for me to sympathise with her. Archangel is very much her story, her journey, but I didn't feel like she grew much through it. Even up to the last few chapters she was placing the blame for her actions on Gabriel. I hoped that I would eventually warm to her, but unfortunately, I didn't.

Gabriel is a bit secondary in this story. He is preparing to take the position of Archangel and has a lot of trouble facing him in the form of merchants that don't want him to become Archangel because they are pleased with the current Archangel's reign. Raphael has convinced many of them that Jovah, the god of Samaria does not exist and if they want to keep money in their pockets then they need to follow him. Gabriel spends most of his time dealing with this aspect of the story. The moments spent with Rachel are often filled with uneasy tension and quarreling. Gabriel never knows what will set Rachel off so he often is on eggshells around her. trying to gauge her mood. This is often in vain since Rachel always finds a reason to become upset with him. Still, for some strange reason, Gabriel loves Rachel.

Had it not been for Rachel being so disagreeable then I'm sure I would have loved this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel.