Jeff's Reviews > Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven & Hell with Black Sabbath

Iron Man by Tony Iommi

Oct 01, 11

Read from September 18 to October 01, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a GREAT read. Ninety chapters in 366 pages means Iommi writes kind of like he plays; riff-based. And he riffs great. Short, punchy, page-turning awesomeness. You won't want to put this down if you are at all a fan. There's a thorough history of the genesis of the band from the earliest days when Iommi was in a blues band, his reluctance to join up with Ozzy at first, the story of how Iommi lost his fingertips in an industrial accident on the last day of his factory job. His inspiration to push thru the difficulty of having to relearn the guitar from being introduced to the story and music of Django Reinhardt. There's plenty of stories of coke-and-booze fueled rehearsal and recording sessions, Ozzy madness such as the time he caught a shark from their hotel window and put it in the tub. There's endless practical jokes, mostly played on Bill Ward. Iommi takes you thru all the albums and all the personnel changes both in the band and management as well as those in his personal life. Biggest surprise? Michael Bolton could've ended up in Black Sabbath. This book is packed with amusing and sometimes heartbreaking tales. I was lucky enough to get an early review copy through my job, and this was a thoroughly entertaining read. When this book hits the shelves, RUN, do not walk, to pick up a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Man.