rabbitprincess's Reviews > Anthills of the Savannah

Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe

May 03, 08

it was ok
bookshelves: world-lit-in-english-fall-2007, school, 2007
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: English prof
Recommended for: people who've already read some of Achebe's work
Read in October, 2007

This was the second book studied in our World Literatures in English class. It had a tough act to follow; our first book was the most excellent Green Grass, Running Water.

Anthills takes place in a fictional African country, Kangan, after it has gained independence from Britain. It centres on three figures: Sam, the dictator of Kangan; the newspaper editor guy whose name I can't remember right this second; and Chris, the Minister for Information. The story chronicles Sam's dictatorship, circumstances that serve as a parallel to Achebe's own country, Nigeria.

The plot was an interesting idea, but it was decidedly more of a chore to get through than Green Grass. It felt preachy in some parts, and there was definitely not much humour in it, despite my prof's claim that it had a satirical bent in places.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something light. If you're into more "serious" postcolonial fare, this would probably be the ticket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthills of the Savannah.