Vicky's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

2044729
Aug 10, 14

bookshelves: series-in-progress, historical-fiction, romance, zz-american-author, setting-france, setting-scotland, time-travel, own-audible-library, own-calibre-library, zzz-temp-color
Read from January 08 to 13, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Re-read notes: My second read through was primarily in eBook form (though I switched from eBook to Audiobook throughout) and I found it much more enjoyable. So much so that I upped my rating from 3 to 4 stars.

I still love Davina Porter's narration, but I read much faster than the narration. On my first listen the Paris section seemed exceptionally drawn out, the eBook made this section much more enjoyable.

-----

Note: Comments on the audiobook narrated by Davina Porter are at the end of this review.

I wasn't as impressed with Dragonfly in Amber as I was with Outlander. Though I enjoyed it, I did have a few issues with it.

The political intrigue was too much. It was well researched, I appreciate Gabaldon's ability to put her characters into a more-or-less historically accurate conflict and I did enjoy the overarching story, but the time in France dragged. Once the story moved on into Scotland, it picked up quite a bit and I didn't want to put it down, but until then I wasn't driven to be reading it all the time.

The viewpoints changed quite a bit during the story, which was both distracting and disorienting. In 1968 we have Claire's first-person narration and a third-person narration centered on Roger that allows us to get inside his head a bit and get a perspective of Claire outside of her head. In the 1700s it is primary Claire's first-person narration with some odd third-person narrations. Including a third-person narration in which 'he [Jamie] is thinking about his wife [Claire],' a scene where I had to rewind to see who he and his wife were.

I'll definitely continue with the series, I hear Voyager is better than Dragonfly in Amber, so we'll see. :)

AudioBook Review
Another excellent performance by Davina Porter. She has great talent for accents and voices, which bring each character alive. The only oddity was her Brianna's American accent.

The only problem with this audiobook was in the shifting perspectives; it was difficult at times to grasp who was speaking or who's point of view the story was in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

Quotes Vicky Liked

Diana Gabaldon
“Jamie," I said, "how, exactly, do you decide whether you're drunk?"

Aroused by my voice, he swayed alarmingly to one side, but caught himself on the edge of the mantelpiece. His eyes drifted around the room, then fixed on my face. For an instant, they blazed clear and pellucid with intelligence.

"och, easy, Sassenach, If ye can stand up, you're not drunk." He let go of the mantelpiece, took a step toward me, and crumpled slowly onto the hearth, eyes blank, and a wide, sweet smile on his dreaming face.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Hodie mihi cras tibi, said the inscription. Sic transit gloria mundi. My turn today, yours tomorrow. And thus passes away the glory of the world.”

Diana Gabaldon
“I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

Diana Gabaldon
“I do know it, my own. Let me tell ye in your sleep how much I love you. For there's no so much I can be saying to ye while ye wake, but the same poor words, again and again. While ye sleep in my arms, I can say things to ye that would be daft and silly waking, and your dreams will know the truth of them. Go back to sleep, mo duinne.”

Diana Gabaldon
“...sitting and waiting is one of the most miserable occupations known to man - not that it usually is known to men; women do it much more often.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Torn between the impulse to stroke his head, and the urge to cave it in with a rock, I did neither.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Sassenach, I've been stabbed, bitten, slapped, and whipped since supper - which I didna get to finish. I dinna like to scare children an I dinna like to flog men, and I've had to do both. I've two hundred English camped three miles away, and no idea what to do about them. I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I'm sore. If you've anything like womanly sympathy about ye, I could use a bit!”

Diana Gabaldon
“Between hell now, and hell later, Sassenach," he said, his speech measured and precise, "I will take later, every time.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Oh, womanly sympathy, love AND food?" I said, laughing. "Don't want a lot, do you?”

Diana Gabaldon
“I'll tell ye, Sassenach; if ever I feel the need to change my manner of employment, I dinna think I'll take up attacking women - it's a bloody hard way to make a living.”

09/18/2011
09/24/2011
23.0% "Not enjoying this quite as much as Outlander, but I feel invested in their story! haha"
09/29/2011
37.0% "Action starting to pick up, getting more and more into it."
10/15/2011
97.0% "Switching POVs is weirding me out."
show 6 hidden updates…