Kristy James's Reviews > The Christmas Train

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Sep 28, 11

Read from September 18 to 19, 2011

My eye doctor recommended The Winner to me last month, so I headed to the library and was hooked right away. I liked David Baldacci's writing style so much I bought it, along with three more, including The Christmas Train, which was next on my reading list.

I fully expected to love it, being a romance reader from my early teens. So I was surprised to find that I did not.

He provided lots of interesting facts and information about Amtrak, long distance train travel and Mark Twain. It was just missing something, and I can't put my finger on it.

Not that it wasn't a good story, because it was. Just not as good as I expected. I'm guessing it took me a good ten days to finish it, and I'm the kind of person who will stay up until I can't see straight if I start reading a really good book. In fact, I'm kind of there now, but only because I just wanted to finish it and move on to something else.

Am I sorry I read it? Nope. The ending left me smiling. And he did keep me guessing. Early on I decided I knew who the 'bad guy' was. At three-quarters of the way through, I realized I was probably wrong and figured out who it really was (and was correct that time).

Would I recommend it? Sure. Even though it didn't hook me like The Winner, it was still a fairly good book.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Train.