Lindsay's Reviews > Interrupting Chicken

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

Sep 22, 11

Read in September, 2011

Genre: Picture Book - Contemporary Realism

Summary: This is book is about a chicken and her papa chicken. Every time the Papa chicken tries to read a bedtime story to the chicken she interrupts her Papa and tells the ending of the story. In the end the chicken tells her Papa a story and puts him to sleep.

Critique: (a)This book finds its strength in character development. The reader learns about the chicken and her Papa and what roles they play in their relationship.
(b)We learn about the characters from their actions and brief commentary. The chicken is the outspoken character. Papa chicken is more reserved and wants to teach his child how to stop interrupting!
(c)The illustrations display these character traits. As chicken continues to interrupt we see Papa chicken's frustration through the illustrations.

Curriculum connection: I can see this book being used with pre-k students. It is a good book that will teach students good character traits and how to behave properly in the classroom setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interrupting Chicken.