Dwight Okita's Reviews > The Great Perhaps

The Great Perhaps by Joe Meno

Nov 04, 11

Read from September 18 to November 04, 2011

I just finished reading The Great Perhaps. I have only read his Boy Detective Fails which I liked very much. Perhaps is an intriguing quirky read. Meno's world is cool, trippy, and often touching. The author is rarely boring. Other the several new novels I've purchased, I was compelled to finish reading this one, as I am not with others.

The central family is falling apart in so many interesting ways. They are deeply flawed, though empathetic and recognizable. Probably my favorite character is Thisbe, the young daughter raised in a non-religious family who rebels by finding God. Her spirituality is touching instead of fire and brimstone. At one point her mother hilariously says, "I notice you've been praying a lot lately, Thisbe. Is everything okay?"

She says it is. And that it's not appropriate to ask people what they're praying about. The mother wonders if her girl is praying that her parents won't divorce. Thisbe says something like, "This is not about you, Mother. I'm just praying that I can make it through high school without shooting anybody!" Love it.

One thing that bothered me a bit about the ending was the every one's problems seemed to resolve too neatly. And almost simultaneously. I would have been okay with a character or two continuing to be messed up. That would have been a bit more believable. But overall, it was a very satisfying read. Meno's voice is eccentric and charming. A voice I wouldn't mind accompanying me on any of life's journeys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Perhaps.

09/21/2011 page 100
25.0% "I am loving this book. I like its quirky style and format and themes. It's rare for me to read thru a book this fast. Meno is one of my new favorite writers."