Jared's Reviews > Riders of the Purple Sage

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey

M 50x66
Oct 24, 11

Read from September 18 to 30, 2011

I really liked “The Riders of The Purple Sage” by Zane Grey and thought it was interesting because the plot kept me thinking. It is about a rich Mormon woman, Jane Withersteen, in the late 1800s who befriends non-Mormons. The elders in her town of Cottonwood in southern Utah don't like it so they persecute her. They persecute her by taking her cattle and making all of her workers leave. She meets a man called Lassiter who helps her in her situation. Lassiter also was in Cottonwood because he wanted to find the man that had taken his sister away against her will. Jane has a non-Mormon friend called Venters who goes off to find her lost cattle, and while he is gone he meets Bess, a young rustler's girl, and they live in a secluded canyon for a while waiting for the rustler's to quit looking for them. They all go through some hard times and hope in the end that there is a place they can go where they aren't persecuted any more.

This book has the old western feel in it but it also has some suspense and Zane Grey keeps you thinking as the parts of the story unfold. The book is told from a third-person omniscient point of view and I personally like that because you can tell what all of the characters are going through. One thing that the author could have done better would be not putting in as much description of the scenery. There are entire pages dedicated to describing scenery. Overall it is a good book that I would recommend to anyone that likes westerns and a little bit of mystery because there are some gunfights and some questions that remain unanswered throughout most of the book.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riders of the Purple Sage.