Allison W.'s Reviews > Be Here Now

Be Here Now by Ram Dass

3194119
Dec 20, 11

Recommended to Allison W. by: My Dad by virtue of its presence in his library for decades
Recommended for: Anyone seeking enlightenment
Read from September 18 to December 19, 2011, read count: 1

There are a lot of folks out there who just won't get this book. They won't get Ram Dass. They won't get the concept of enlightenment, period. I feel incredibly blessed that I have been exposed to Ram Dass, and the open-thinking style he has, since I was very young. I can remember my father reading this book and actively using it regularly when I was a child. I thought it was really a cool book because it was square, a bunch of the pages were printed on brown paper and a lot of it was handwriting rather than type-set - oh, and there were a lot of pictures.

It's not until completely reading it now as and adult that I realize how truly awesome it is. This is one of the few books I've read this year which is now on my "absolutely MUST get" list. If folks aren't used to or ready for the concept of living in the moment and the idea that this life is a spiritual process - not a religious spiritual process per se - but an individual process that the non-physical part of us evolves through while the physical part is "alive", I can imagine that it would be easy to write this book off as being a bunch of hooey.

For me, there was a totally different experience that led me to understand that my father's having studied Ram Dass impacted me and my life in ways I'd never been aware of before. There were many parts of Be Here Now that were like reading affirmations about myself that I could have written down myself - in my own words, no less. And, I have to tell you, that's a pretty cool experience in and of itself. But, for me, the most rewarding part was having direction as to where to go in the future to broaden my horizons further. I feel a guidance is available to me through Ram Dass' teachings that I have been aware of lacking in the past.

I am looking very much forward to reading more of his work and hearing more of his teachings and conversations in the coming months. For me, I believe his open-thinking, his open-guidance, his amazingly open and available style of relating his experience and guidance may well be that which I have been looking for in my life for decades.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Here Now.