Kristin's Reviews > Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Apr 26, 08

Read in April, 2008

This was our book club pick for this month. All I can say is THANK YOU KARIANN!! This book should be required reading for every American. It was life changing. I loved it. I have since scoured the Internet trying to learn as much as I can about Operation Redwing and it's heroes.

This is not the kind of book I would normally pick up and read. In fact, I had it on the counter and when Tyler came home and he thanked me for picking him out a great book from the library. He couldn't believe we were reading it for book club. He even proudly been told the guys at work what book his wife was reading. They were impressed too. I thought this would be a "guys book" but it isn't. It is a book for every American...man or woman...conservative or liberal.

This book took hold of me and still hasn't let go. I was unable to put it down. It was heart-breaking, inspiring and unfailingly patriotic. I am so glad that I read this book and got a glimpse the kind of people who have answered our country's call and who fight for freedom. God Bless the United States Armed Forces and the men and women who serve!!

I rate this book: EXCELLENT!! A must-read for every American.

May the heroic acts of the men of Operation Redwing never be forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Survivor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendie For a totally different perspective on the war in Afghanistan, you might want to read Jon Krakauer's book about Pat Tillman. Interesting contrast between the two.

Wendie Coincidentally, I just met the author, Marcus Luttrell for the second time. He came to work place two years ago to give us each a signed copy of his book. This time he was attending the SCI Convention in Reno last week and spent time with our group. He is an amazing person.

message 3: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff if you want to learn more about Operation Red Wings ( correct name) check out Victory Point....

Gerry Kristin, this is a good review that didn't lose the foundation of the action that occurred during the Operation. Reading some of the comments here on this book one would think there were no lives lost at all and that an ROE never occurred high atop the mountains of Afghanistan. Regardless of the entitled opinion that Luttrell holds in the end 3 Navy SEALs were KIA. Had Luttrell not survived given the kindness of Gubal and other villagers - this story may never have been forthcoming. Again, good review - thank you and Semper Fidelis.

Bill Completely agree. I was taken aback seeing some of the negative reviews, when I thought it was exceptional!