Sharon's Reviews > The Grace of Silence: A Memoir

The Grace of Silence by Michele Norris

1120957
Sep 18, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, favorites, memoir, families
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from September 18 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

Wow. Every American should read this book. It's so much more than it appears to be on first look. The reader expects a family memoir, and that is provided along with crucial and little-known American history. This book contains so much elegant wisdom, eloquently told. Further, it asks us to do more, to be more, to understand more.

I've been listening to Michele Norris on NPR for years without knowing anything about her. You won't find much that's current about her and her work in this book, but you can find that online. What you'll find are precious gems for living well.

All that said, this book will be loved by mature readers. Immature readers or those who don't accept responsibity nor have an appreciation of the give and take of all kinds of communities, including family, won't get it. But then, I don't think Michele was writing for those audiences.

She has a remarkable family, full of grace, and they're still passing it down through generations. Oh that we all possessed such grace! Don't miss a word of this book. It's the sort I'll read again and give as gifts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace of Silence.