Brittany Young's Reviews > The Wreck of the Zephyr

The Wreck of the Zephyr by Chris Van Allsburg

Sep 18, 11

I really enjoyed reading this book! It kept me so entertained the entire time. The cover and structure of the book is identical to “The Stranger”. The dark cover has a boarder around the image on the front and the back cover is blank. Inside is the same as well, with text on the left and images bordered in white on the right. The image on the front is very visually entertaining, with green rough water and dark fluffy clouds.The white sails stand out aginst the darker colors on the cover. The images look painted, or clay-like. All of the illustrations on the inside appear to be created with darker, more saturated colors. It adds an air of mystery or wonder to the pages. Once I started reading the text, I noticed immediately that this story uses a different point of view than other books that I have read this semester. It is as if the narrator is speaking to you, but then someone is telling the narrator the story of the ship, while there is also a narrator at the end of the story describing what happened at the end. It seems complicated when you write it out, but upon reading it my mind followed the story flawlessly. I ADORED the story, especially the very ending. I was shocked when I realized that the man from the beginning of the story using the “I” language was the boy from the story. He was hearing a story about himself! That was such an interesting perspective. I would give this book to a primary school age child, but even I enjoyed it quite a bit. The language is simple, but the story seems to defy the age. I believe there are a few small morals a child can get from this book. Do not be too confident, because it can get you in trouble. Another one might be, do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do if you believe in yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wreck of the Zephyr.