Michele at A Belle's Tales's Reviews > Blood Bound

Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent

Oct 08, 2011

Read from September 18 to 25, 2011

“By blood, by word, by magic…”

I was torn between starting the Soul Screamers series or Blood Bound. Then I saw this hilarious quote from Blood Bound: “Cam laughed. ‘You know, my grandmother always said no woman with a decent vocabulary would resort to profanity.’ Kori huffed. ‘My grandmother said, ‘Get the hell out of my house, bitch, before I throw you out on your ass.’”

Fascinating and captivating; these are two words that first come to mind when describing Blood Bound. I loved the concept of the story. Four friends made a pact when they were kids, not knowing that one of them was a Binder. Now they are bound to each other, and one of them only has to ask and the others are rendered helpless to deny them. Helpless as in their bodies begin systemically shutting down organ by organ until they either fulfill their oath or they die. Some choice …and that’s only a fraction of the story. The town is basically divided into two territories. One side is controlled by Jake Tower and the other by Ruben Cavazos. Both are powerful adversaries and they hire the best binders, trackers, seers, shadow travelers and jammers money can buy.

I can’t imagine living in a world where I should never tell anyone my full name, or avoiding hospitals in order to never leave behind a drop of my blood for fear of being tracked and bound.

I struggled a bit in the beginning trying to learn some of the terms in the magical world Rachel Vincent created, but once I got the hang of it, I was sucked in.

The POV changes every chapter, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about that at first, but I really loved hearing the inner monologue of both lead characters. I do love a male POV and Cam does not disappoint. He is so charming and appealing. He and Liv have perfect chemistry:

“I realized that I'd rather die with you than live with someone else.”

The ending came entirely too soon and left me hanging in a way that has me pining for Shadow Bound (Unbound #2). I look forward to reading more of Rachel Vincent’s work!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Bound.

Quotes Michele at A Belle's Tales Liked

Rachel Vincent
“Cam laughed. "You know, my grandmother always said no woman with a decent vocabulary would resort to profanity."
Kori huffed. "My grandmother said, 'Get the hell out of my house, bitch, before I throw you out on your ass.”
Rachel Vincent, Blood Bound

09/21/2011 page 100
22.0% "There is just something about a Cam. Rawr."
09/21/2011 page 205
46.0% "Liking Liv: “Cedo nulli. Latin for "I yield to no one.”"

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) You'll have to tell me how this is! I'm working my way through the Soul Screamers series by Rachel, and I love it. So far, it's all that I've read by her, though...

Michele at A Belle's Tales Jeannette (The Starry-Eyed Revue) wrote: "You'll have to tell me how this is! I'm working my way through the Soul Screamers series by Rachel, and I love it. So far, it's all that I've read by her, though..."

I'm excited to read the Soul Screamers series - it sounds fantastic. I haven't gotten very far in Blood Bound, but I will keep you posted ;)

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I have this in my TBR pile too. Let me know when your review is up. I am debating whether to read this or Soul Screamers for my first Rachel Vincent book.

Michele at A Belle's Tales heid21 wrote: "I have this in my TBR pile too. Let me know when your review is up. I am debating whether to read this or Soul Screamers for my first Rachel Vincent book."
I sure will - I can't wait to read Soul Screamers! Some of the quotes I have been seeing from Rachel Vincent's books are amazing!

message 8: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I love Rachel Vincent's YA series so I want to try this series

Michele at A Belle's Tales Jennifer wrote: "I love Rachel Vincent's YA series so I want to try this series"

I really liked it! I can't wait to read more of her work! :)

Rachel Nice review! I loved Blood Bound, and can't wait for Shadow Bound.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Sounds like a good book! Hey when you get ready to start Soul Screamers let me know maybe we can do a buddy read and discuss.

Michele at A Belle's Tales Rachel wrote: "Nice review! I loved Blood Bound, and can't wait for Shadow Bound."
Thank you Rachel! ♥ It really was a great story! Eeeeep for Shadow Bound!!! Have a great weekend :D

Michele at A Belle's Tales heid21 wrote: "Sounds like a good book! Hey when you get ready to start Soul Screamers let me know maybe we can do a buddy read and discuss."

That sounds amazing! I will definitely let you know! ♥

Lindsay Arnhart I loved the soul screamers series. I really liked the shifters series too!!! Ive just started blood bound and so far I prefer the others!!

Michele at A Belle's Tales Lindsay wrote: "I loved the soul screamers series. I really liked the shifters series too!!! Ive just started blood bound and so far I prefer the others!!"

Lindsay, I will definitely add the shifters series! Thanks! :D