Chris Maynard's Reviews > Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Student Name: Chris Maynard

Purpose: Picture Book (Wide Reading Project)

Genre: Children's Literature

Format: Picture Book

Grade level: Pre-School, Possibly the early primary grades (Kindergarten)

Subject Matter/Themes: See above bookshelves

School use: Goodnight Moon is ideal for pre-kindergarten and could be a great read-aloud choice prior to the children having nap time (if that is still around). As I am thinking about teaching kindergarten, I could see it being used in conjunction with teaching early counting skills as each page adds a different element to the room from what I remember. It is also offers the potential for testing emergent recall as the rabbit says good night to different items at different moments in the story.

Review: I don’t know if my parents read this book to me some 25 years ago, but Margaret Wise Brown’s 1947 classic certainly looked and felt old when I read it for my wide reading project. With that said, I was surprised that it didn’t feel outdated to me, with it still effective because of its simplicity, that is, the addition of a new item in the room and the young rabbit saying good night to these different items. I could see why very young children would get out of kick of this picture book, which could be read over and over until your child/students fell asleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodnight Moon.