Ali's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Sep 18, 2011

did not like it
Read in September, 2011

If it hadn't been for the fact that this was chosen by someone at my book group, I would never have read it. I knew it wasn't my kind of book. I am quite prepared to be wrong about a book, I have been before. However I wasn't wrong, I didn't like this at all.

Firstly, I'm sure this can't really be described as a work of feminism - which is how it has been touted - talking about sex and saying c*nt a lot doesn't make one a feminist! (However I would also agree that most of us women these days are feminists to some degree or other) That is not to say that Moran doesn't raise some interesting points - she does, and many of them I would agree with - however these were no great revelations for me - I knew already I thought these things. Also a few quotes from Germaine Greer hardly makes for a great work on feminism either - there have after all been others along the way.

This is mainly a rant, Caitlin Moran rants about things that get her goat - which she is quite entitled to do. Her style is very witty - and I suspect she is very pleased with this style - I however found it rather trite, it got a bit much after a while. It did seem as if for many things Moran has no grey areas, things are either marvelous or terrible - well for me, there are sometimes shades of grey to be considered.

Parts of Moran's memoir - the story of her upbringing, her pregnancies and marriage are quite entertaining and interesting, however I felt the book was quite lightweight and was often irritated by things I suspect may be exaggerations.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted You disagree with other of my friends, Ali, but you give good reasons I think for your rating - though personally, just reading your review, I would have guessed a 2-star rating rather then 1. But we all have our different ways of handing out those star thingies! :)

Mari In teresting. Actually, most women say they are NOT feminists when asked…but who can say what that means.

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted Mari wrote: "In teresting. Actually, most women say they are NOT feminists when asked…but who can say what that means."

I've seen this too. But most women also say that they want to be treated equally, they want equal pay for equal work, they feel they should have all the same rights as men, they think husbands should share in house work and child-rearing. It seems to me that that's pretty much what a normal "feminist" would want.

It seems, then, that many women have something against feminism, that they have an idea that "feminism" is some kind of radical man-hating movement which, not too surprisingly, they feel distanced from.