Virginia's Reviews > The Private World of Georgette Heyer

The Private World of Georgette Heyer by Jane Aiken Hodge

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011books, library, nonfiction
Read on September 18, 2011

I have not actually read any Georgette Heyer books, but I have heard of her peripherally and thought this would be a good overview. Plus, it was in front on the library's New Books shelf.

This was so short! I think Ms. Heyer herself sounded like a fascinating person - and a challenge to research, since she did not give interviews, etc. The biographer certainly found enough details from a variety of sources to determine the factual events of Ms. Heyer's life, BUT I think this biography suffered from not being able to include many of the thoughts and feelings of its subject. There were a lot of financial details that were just not that interesting, but I assume these would be on the public record, and easier to research. Similarly there were many details about contracts and legal battles with publishers - not compelling reading.

All of the aspects of this that I disliked were related to the author and editorial choices, NOT the subject. I AM going to read a couple of Georgette Heyer books themselves - the descriptions of the research and attention to detail involved in her books sounds impressive.

My favorite part of this was: "An Infamous Army sets a strong romantic story in Brussels during the weeks leading up to Waterloo. [Ms. Heyer's] description of the climactic battle has been used at Sandhurst and acclaimed as the best there is, and as her son remembers, the only public lecture she ever gave."
I mean, how cool is that??? I could not imagine anything like this happening now, with any writer of popular fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Private World of Georgette Heyer.